Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Teen Vogue's Fashion University (a very late post)

Hey guys! How are those resolutions going? I personally fell off a little bit once I came back to Columbia (greasy college food was calling my name) but I started Zumba with a good friend yesterday and I'm headed to the gym tonight and Thursday as well. I've even made it a point to prepare lunches a few days in advanced so that I can ensure I won't buy something terrible and overpriced on campus.

But that's not what this post is about. Last year, in October I got the opportunity of a lifetime. Those of you that have been following my blog for quite some time, know that NYC is the city that I have dreamed of for as long as I can remember, and Conde Nast is a company I was dead set on interning/working for.

My good friend Darion (he's a stylist for a boutique downtown, check him out) had been talking about Teen Vogue Fashion University (TVFU) for a few months and I kind of blew him off because I was so sure my sketches and this blog weren't good enough to make the cut.

Despite my doubts, I found myself in Hilton Head, South Carolina trying to submit my portfolio the night it was due at minutes to midnight.

After I pressed submit I kind of forgot about it, school had started and I was focused on getting my GPA up, making money and enjoying my last two years of college.

Well, one day, I woke up in the worst of moods, I was running late for class, my boss was on my case, it was ridiculously hot and I was so frustrated. I decided to come home for lunch and this is what I saw:


I was ECSTATIC. I couldn't believe what I was reading and my friend Darion got accepted as well. I was in complete disbelief. 

TVFU took place the weekend of October 18-20. For those of you that don't know it's a weekend where aspiring fashionistas and fashionistos gather together in NYC to participate in workshops taught by designers, business owners and bloggers in the business. This year some of the names included Eddie Borgo, jewelry designer, Amy Astley, Teen Vogue Editor-in-Chief and Thakoon, fashion designer.



As if that wasn't awesome enough, each student got a bag full of swag from all the sponsors that helped make the event possible.



My favorite session was probably the bloggers panel because it was the one I could identify with the most. Creators of Into the Gloss and The Couveteur both shared advice and their journeys on making it in the fashion industry, it's what made me realize that if I kept up with this, made it better and better over time, this blog could be next.  

I even got to meet a follower from my personal Tumblr blog! Him and his friends took me all over the city, it was truly amazing and I even met Diddy (on total accident).




Being in New York for the weekend and surrounded by so many like minded individuals made me realize that it truly is a city I would love to be in after graduation. I've definitely been looking at internships there for the summer as well, but it's so difficult when you don't have free housing (and you definitely aren't getting paid). 

For now I am doing everything I can to finish up school and apply to internships that will hopefully lead me to the city that I love so much. It was such an amazing weekend and I cannot wait until I can go back again!






No comments:

Post a Comment