Monday, January 2, 2012

The City


I'm not sure if anyone that reads this actually wants to make a fashion a career choice, but I still figured this post would be worth it.

I've always loved fashion, more so the styling side, I liked putting things together and in high school I liked giving my opinion about the latest trends in my school's paper. It actually wasn't until college that I realized what little I know about fashion. Now, I still don't know everything, but honestly a great place to start is the hit MTV show The City.

Now if you ask me, I think they ended the show too soon, probably because ratings weren't where they needed to be, but honestly this is one of the shows that MTV should've fought a little harder for. It didn't come with the petty drama we saw on The Hills or Laguna Beach, where a whole bunch of size 2 blonde haired "bimbo" type girls ran around LA and Orange  County in bikinis yelling "Ste-phen" and crying over boys that didn't deserve their tears. The City was a lot more real, it showed the fashion industry in a very realistic light, in yet doesn't make it seem negative or fake like the media tends to do.

For those of you that don't know The City was Whitney Port's spin of from The Hills. Whitney an intern at Teen Vogue and People's Resolution, had finally realized that she had done all the growing she could do in LA and decided to chase after her dream in the city where fashion reigns: New York.

Here she meets a boy, gets into some drama and lands an awesome job styling for Diane Von Fersenburg (DVF) only to wind up back at People's Revolution in New York where the queen bitch of them all, Kelly Cutrone helps her start her own fashion line Whitney Eve. In between all of that you see what kind of mind and perseverance it really takes to work in the fashion industry, not only that, but I learned a lot about designers and even how magazines work, things that will be quite helpful as I begin to find my place in the fashion world.

Anyway, I say all this to say, if you want to know a bit more about fashion, specifically the inner workings of fashion magazines and designer names, but don't feel like reading (or you just want some drama thrown in to spice it up) consider watching this show. It's only two seasons and it's on Netflix Instant. I know all you students out there have a few more days before you have to head back to school, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Leave me a comment and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment